Monday, October 11, 2010

In the (Army) Navy...

One day I needed to go to the bank to take care of business. Afterwards came the most important business of them all: what to eat?

Army Navy is a resto (eating place) that has its roots in Tagaytay City - the other summer capital of the Philippines. I have long been planning a road trip to savor the huge burgers and the brilliant burritos but have been too busy (aren't we all?) to make it a reality.


Luck, however, is on my side as a branch opened up near La Salle Taft and another at the Ayala Westgate. It is the latter branch where I satisfied my hunger.

Army Navy counter

Here they serve the famed "Bully Boy", which is three quarter-pound pure beef patties in a black-and-tan sesame seed-studded bun. Yes, 3/4 of a pound of beef - and that's just the patties!

I came, however, for the burritos. Which were HUGE! My hand could barely close around one. I poured on the salsa (mushed up but good) and the yoghurt sauce, bit into the edge and chewed.

IArmy Navy Burrito againArmy Navy Burrito is HUGE

Not bad. The tortilla tasted fresh - warm with the right amount of resistance and chew. The steak strips were abundant, as were the greens. The garlick-y kick of the yoghurt sauce followed by the fire of the salsa was awesome. The Spanish rice and beans rounded it all out.

Army Navy Burrito - yum!

I guess that's my major quibble: too much rice!

Army Navy Burrito

To wash it all down: a thick chocolate milkshake. Chocolate ice cream, milk and a bit of ice - blended to smooth perfection. It was thick enough that my straw could stand in it but not too think that I could suck it through a straw. I appreciate (Wendy's) Frostee-like thickness but not when I actually want a drink!

Army Navy Chocolate Milk shake

All in all, it was quite a pleasant experience and I would definitely come back for the steak sandwich (which Leo had) - I forgot its fancy name but it looked delish. I had a bad case of order envy that day.

Army Navy steak sandwich

On a side note, Leo got a Bully Boy to go. My gassss, I know I am not up to it yet but I know someday I will get the chance to conquer that bully!

Happy Eating!

No comments: