Monday, October 11, 2010

Blast From The Past: The Kimchi-fication of Kasseopeia (part 1)

A flashback from my Seoul trip in late 2008. I realized I never really posted a food-oriented entry on my Seoul trip so I think I'll start doing that now while I still have no new food-ventures (*sigh*) to blab about.

So on on one chilly Friday night (it was the start of winter), we had some pork sizzling on a metal grill fired up by glowing coals. It was beautiful! The smokiness of the pork, the sweet-spicy tang of the dipping sauce, the bite of the Korean shiso (an acquired taste, I admit) and the crunch of the oh-so-fresh lettuce (hydroponic?).

To accompany that, we were served this salad. It was frisee-like leaves tossed with what I suppose is the stuff that makes kimchi HOT. Regardless, I loved it and was quite happy none of the other Pinoys fancied it. More for me to shove into my gaping maw!

S.A.L.A.D

Here's the pork, sizzling away on a hot bed of coals...

Korean Barbeque

The next day, we went on a touristy jaunt and ended up in a tradional Korean dumpling and noodle shop. JinSoo ordered for us and what we had was a soup of knife-cut buckwheat noodles with oysters.

Soup with wheat dough dumplings

Good Lord in heaven... the brininess of the tiny oysters as they popped in my mouth... the pillowy chewiness of the noodles... the thickness of the almost-bland broth. It was soooooo good! I ate three HUGE bowls of it. It is as good as my photo of it is bad (1.2MP phone cam in bad lighting). This got me ready to walk around Seoul in -4C weather. Hoo yeah!

The serving "scoop" is actually a hollowed out dried gourd. Beautiful, eh?

More Korean food adventures in another post. This one just about made my mouth water enough to warrant a flash-flood alert.

No comments: