Friday, October 15, 2010

B is for Baon (part deux)

TOSE set

I had written about baon in my short-lived blog. In truth, I had PLENTY more baon posts to come... had I not forgotten my password. ANYhoo, here's what may have made it to the posts but in a more condensed form. After all, I'm sure nobody would want to hear (read?) me wax poetic about the wonders of Spam and warm Japanese short-grained rice, yes?

The photo up top is salted eggs, slices tomatoes, and steamed
okra (lady fingers). In a separate container I had the steamed Japanese short-grain rice (which is LOVE on a bowl, methinks).

Below are two versions of the same breakfast/snack fare: Japanese short-grain rice molded into shapes and cut-out Spam.

Cute breakfast Naked baon

Jeni and I love Spam, sodium and nitrates be damned! The left version is mine, as I love nori (seasoned dried seaweed sheets) and miso (fermented soy bean paste) soup. On the right is Jeni's "naked" breakfast - she is not a fan of seaweed in any form. Her loss, my gain, yes?

I sometimes get VERY lazy and opt for instant
baon, like below.

Amber baon Instant Bento

There is a shop called Amber and it sells primarily Pansit Malabon (a type of noodle dish), pork barbeque, and pichi-pichi (sort of like mochi but sweeter, and is cassava flour-based). That's on the left. On the right are some Japanese rice wafer snacks, half of a gigantic siopao, and some home-made chicken nuggets with Bulldog tonkatsu sauce.

I do full meals too! Just like my pork
adobo (a cooking method based on the Spanish adobado) with garlic-butter mushrooms (out of a can, sadly) on the left. On the right is some beef steak with onion rings.

Baon ng tamad Beef steak plate

Baon
need not be an elaborate affair. It's sometimes just a way to extend the pleasure of one delish dish from home to work (or wherever you're taking your baon). Most of the time, though, it's to make sure I like what I will be having for lunch on my office desk. We do have a cafeteria but the food gets repeated and recycled ad nausem so... that would be an epic culinary fail, yes?

More baon to come! Happy eating!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was a very interesting post as I rarely see dishes like this in the USA here in NC. I will say that I read on and really enjoyed the Army Navy and Kimchi posts more. The foods mentioned in those post are more familiar to me although I would really like to try the rice you think is go wonderful. I will be checking back to see what else you come up with.
Odie