Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Memories of Bangkok - Brain Freeze!

Its not only on the street that good food is found in Bangkok. While I usually steer clear of food chains (I am guilty of succumbing to Burger King once, though), I can't help but wander into shops within the malls.

BKK - Gelate - display
Gelate's display case

Especially when they sell ice cream! Or in this case... gelato!

Gelate is (was) in Central World, in one of the upper floors. On my first visit, I took my two sisters where we pigged out on Ferrero Rocher, passionfruit (my favorite), and kiwi.

BKK - gelate - ferrero kiwi passionfruit
a trio of gelate: Ferrero Rocher, kiwi, passionfruit

They were awesome - creamy and tasted of what their flavors called them! Think of it this way: if you smooshed up Ferrero, kiwi and passionfruit (separately, of course) and then froze them up... you'd get these three scoops of heaven. The Ferrero was chocolatey and hazelnut-ty in a VERY good way. The cleansing, sweet and acidic taste of the passionfruit vacuumed up your palate in preparation for the shy kiwi flavor. Both fruit flavors has their own little seeds (not-so-little in the case of the passionfruit) that I loved crunching down on. This was win-win-win!

BKK - Gelate - raspberry vanilla
Raspberry and vanilla gelate

Being the pigs that we were (my two sisters and I are not called The Three Little Pigs for nothing!), Sissy and I made a return trip a few days later to assault our taste buds some more. This time, we had raspberry and vanilla. The latter was pure perfection: creamy, smooth and flecked with vanilla dots. The raspberry was good too: fruity-sweet, lip-puckering tart and cleansing.

My only quibble: too many seeds. These were not the crunch-able type either. So Sissy and I would scoop up some of the gelato, work it around our mouth - smooshing it against the roof our mouths with the tongue - then unceremoniously spit the seeds out on some tissue. Tsk tsk...

You think that was the end of it? Heck no! The Two Little Pigs (the littlest one opted to stay home and miss out... harhar!) spotted Ete at Silom Central. Ete, the lady at the counter informed me, is French for summer. Makes sense! Hot weather = cold gelato. Bring it on!

We had wanted to try their cookie dough ice cream but they ran out. So we settled on some Rookie Rocky (kind of like Rocky Road meets Cookies n Cream) and Mint Chocolate. I remember the Rookie Rocky more - due mostly to its high chocolate content and the marshmallows. The mint chocolate tasted of Vicks vaporub on chocolate but it's a minor quibble. I know I'm being unfair comparing Ete to Gelate... but I liked Gelate more.

BKK - Ete - mint chocolate and rocky rookie
Mint chocolate chip and Rookie Rocky (road)

On my last day for that BKK trip, Sissy and I returned to Ete to have: Banofi (the banana component too artificial, the coffee flavor alive - like my morning cup of joe frozen up and scooped), Mocha Crunch (think a Stabucks Mocha Frappucino with sweet-salty caramel shards - delicious!), Nutella (mix a cup of cream with a jar of Nutella, stir and freeze - a masterpiece), and Green Tea (slightly astringent, cool, smooth - the way green tea ought to be). I never wanted to leave and I wanted to kick myself for not discovering it earlier! Plus, I kept missing the cookie dough.

BKK - Ete - matcha nutella mocha crunch banofi
Top: Banofi and Mocha Crunch
Bottom: matcha (green tea) and Nutella

But on my next visit to BKK, I finally tried the cookie dough! What can I say... spectacular! I daresay it was much better than Sebastian's! Heehee...

I also had countless DQ blizzards. I couldn't help it. It's WAY cheaper there than here in Manila. 1 pint in BKK = a 12 ouncer here in Manila. Can you blame me for indulging?

The last ice cream find is Swensen's. From my POV, methinks it's a local brand. Thais are big patrons of their local brands and every Swensen's branch I've been to (five of them) have been packed! I don't doubt the reason: the ice cream is fantanstic! We bought 1 quart each of Midnight Brownies and Rum Raisin. I know I gushed about these in my other blog... but good God! They were amazing!

BKK - swensens
Swensen's: rum raisin and midnight brownies

So on my next visit, I made sure to grab a two-scoop cone: berry yoghurt and midnight brownies. Win-win!

No comments: